Archived Release Builds
This section lists past releases of the firmware and config tool.
If you run into a bug in a new update, you can revert to an older
version below. But please let me know if you do this, because
I might not otherwise hear about the bug!
It's better to use matching versions of the firmware and config
tool if possible (that is, both from the same release date). I
try to maintain compatibility across versions between the config
tool and firmware, so it should be okay to mix versions if
you have a good reason, but it's still better to use a matching
set when possible to ensure that both pieces of software are
working with the same feature set. New UI features in the Config
Tool often depend upon corresponding new functions in the firmware,
so you might not see a new feature in the UI (or it might be
limited, or not work properly) if you have older firmware installed.
How to install old versions
Config tool: Unpack the .zip file into a folder on your
PC's hard disk. Open the folder. Double-click the "PinscapeSetupTool.exe"
Firmware: Run the Config Tool. Click the "Update" button in the
device list entry for the controller you'd like to update. Select the
downloaded file when the tool asks which .bin file to install.
List of archived versions
- Add support in the Config Tool for Oak Micros's Pinscape Lite board.
- Added a "zoom" control to the plunger sensor viewer in the Config Tool for imaging sensors (TLS1410, TCD1103). The new control is only meaningful when an image sensor type is in use, so it won't be visible with non-imaging sensors like potentiometers, quadrature sensors, etc. The zoom control is mostly to help get a clear enough view to adjust lens focus with the TCD1103, but it could be helpful with other image sensors as well just to get a clearer view of the pixel structure.
- Fixed a bug in the firmware that only sent IR commands for the TV ON sequence if they were contiguously grouped in the first slots. IR for the TV ON sequence can now be placed in any slots.
- Made some small changes to the TCD1103 plunger sensor support in the firmware to improve the quality of the image data transfer.
- The Config Tool's plunger sensor viewer has a new visualization for quadrature sensors, showing the current "A" and "B" channel readings, and the inferred location along the bar code scale. This requires the latest firmware, which adds reporting on the raw "A" and "B" channel readings.
- Added support in the Config Tool for Oak Micros's Pinscape All-In-One board.
- The firmware's analog voltage sensing procedure for the potentiometer has been greatly improved, which should make for more precise readings with less jitter and noise. If you've been using the "Jitter Filter" to reduce visible instability in the position readings, you should try readjusting the filter to see if the changes let you use a smaller filter window. You might even be able to turn the filtering off entirely. (The firmware now uses a more accurate sampling mode in the ADC hardware, along with continuous sampling and a rolling average over several milliseconds. The earlier scheme used instantaneous samples only, which tend to be much noisier. The sampling interval is still shorter than the USB update interval, so there's no downside to this in terms of performance or latency. The old instantaneous sampling approach was basically just discarding a lot of data that it could have been collecting to improve the accuracy, which is what we do now.)
- Added support in the Config Tool and in the Pinscape firmware for two new plunger sensor types (TCD1103, AEAT-6012). These sensors are both still under development, so we haven't added any plans for them to the Build Guide yet, but the software support for them is now in place for if and when we can finalize the designs.
- Fixed a bug in the firmware that made the "Reverse orientation" option not work quite right for the AEDR-8300 sensor.
- Added "Chime Logic", which lets you set minimum and maximum ON times for the port. Setting a minimum time can be useful for devices need a certain minimum activation time to reach full strength. The maximum time can be used for devices like chimes that only produce the right effect when triggered with a very fast ON/OFF cycle, as well as for coils that can overheat if left on for too long. The time settings available for Chime Logic provide fairly fine gradations of short time spans (single milliseconds to tends of milliseconds).
- Flipper Logic is now enabled for digital (non-PWM) ports. (In the past, it was only offered on PWM ports.) For a digital port, the "hold" power is fixed at 0% (fully off), since intermediate power levels between 0% and 100% aren't possible without PWM support on the port (and that's precisely what a "digital" port is: one without PWM capabilities). The effect is that Flipper Logic acts like a simple time limiter on the port.
- Fixed a firmware bug that prevented assigning the same physical button to both the Shift and Night Mode Toggle functions. (In the past, the Night Mode part of it didn't work if you did this.)
- Config Tool windows should now adapt properly to monitor "zoom" settings in the Windows desktop layout. In past versions, Config Tool windows sometimes changed sizes unexpectedly on redraws if a monitor was set to a zoom factor other than 100%.
- When setting up a new KL25Z, the Config Tool now automatically checks the boot loader version that's currently installed on the device, and advises as to whether or not it needs to be updated before Pinscape can be installed. This saves unnecessary updates for newer KL25Z's that have compatible firmware pre-installed.
- Changed PWM frequency for feedback device ports to 2 kHz
- Fix accelerometer rotation bug introduced in stuttered joystick report update (2017-12-13)
- Adjustable timing for joystick and accelerometer reports, for optimizing VP nudge performance (WARNING: this version also has a bug that makes accelerometer readings erratic; the bug is fixed in the Jan 12 2018 version )
- Plunger "reversed orientation" option
- Option for joystick reporting on Rx/Ry/Rz axes instead of X/Y/Z (can be used in case of conflicts with other joystick devices)
- "Flipper Logic": set individual output ports to fire at full power and then reduce power after a specified interval, to help protect coils and solenoids that might overheat if left at full power for long periods
- New command-line tool for controlling Pinscape from command scripts
- Support for AEDR-8300 and VL6180X plunger sensors
- IR remote control features
- New accelerometer options
- Select the dynamic range
- Enable/disable auto-centering
- Set custom auto-centering time
- New Shift Button option: "Shift AND Key" mode makes the shift button send its own keystroke immediately whether or not you press another key
- Output tester
- Button tester
- TV ON tester
- USB protocol extensions for multiple virtual LedWiz support (requires using the special Pinscape version of LEDWIZ.DLL on PC)
- Updated firmware workaround instructions for Win 8/10